Saturday, January 29, 2011

First Week of My Internship

Five days are fast, but it's not because it's a very enjoyable one. It feels fast because I managed to successfully passed all the obstacles during the my first days of internship.

Let me review you day per day.

FIRST DAY
I really had nothing to do. It was boring all the time. I was tired of sitting. I kept looking at the clock just to find out only 5 minutes had passed. It was torturing.

SECOND DAY
I got my first job and it was not such a newbie one. I was asked to draw 3D view of a staircase with a curved landing. My supervisor guided me through the process. He's not a soft spoken one but he is kind of patient for my slow-processing-brain. At first, I was very lost. I couldn't catch which point of view that he wanted, but I managed to finish it. I thought my first job was done, but actually it was a never ending one. I was asked again to draw the plan view, cut the section here and there, then draw the elevation view. I worked until 7pm in my second day where I was supposed to leave office at 6pm, and I was given a homework for tomorrow morning!

THIRD DAY
In the morning, I got nothing to do again. It was because my supervisor was not around, when he came in the afternoon, I was given the next task. Same project. Same thing, still the damn staircase thing.

I was told to draw the slanted beam in elevation view, not to forget to draw the reinforcements also. Oh yeah, before that, he asked me to calculate what reinforcements should be used for the problem. He guided me but I was still blur. I knew I learnt that last semester but I just forgot the formula. Thanks to the blue textbook. I was a little bit shocked that I had to do all those works that soon. I was expecting a step by step learning process but I didn't get any.

I forgot to tell you, that my company is a very small company, only consists of 4 people, 5 including me. One of my colleague also explained about this thing, that they don't really have that kind of training for an intern, since it is a very small company, and everyone usually is already busy doing their own works but yes, they are still willing to help me of course.

Okay, continue. After calculating the longitudinal bars, I was asked to calculate the shear link reinforcements. My supervisor said that the contractor was coming (oh okay so this is a REAL project. At first I still thought this was kind of practices for me to get familiarized with those stuffs. but it is A REAL ONE) I was stuck with the calculation but fortunately he didn't need the answer anymore, which meant : another problem arose.

He asked me to draw the damn beam in plan view with bigger scale. That 'funny damn' beam... Why on earth the architect designed such thing?? =_= What a poor civil engineer we are.. I worked over time again, but thank God it was only 15 minutes late, but then I was given a homework again to study how to calculate the column thingy-thingy. I totally forgot that thing and lost. I never learnt such problems during my class. That's why, you should never study for the purpose of exam only.

At night, I tried to read my lecture notes but I couldn't really focus. I even brought my lecture notes to celebrate my friend's birthday! Can't you believe that?? Even those who are not doing their internship wouldn't even start studying! (unless they're kiasu enough).

FOURTH DAY
I reached office with a very minimum understanding of what I would be doing. I looked through the blue print again and I found out that I actually didn't have to calculate that column thingy-thingy. Yay! but then, another new work is coming..another drawing from another damn point of view. Actually I was quite excited knowing that I didn't need to bore myself anymore, but still..there was another pressure of many works to do. I might enjoy the drawing part but not when I required to think how to anchor the reinforcement, how to bend, how to link, etc etc. I left office at around 6.40 pm, then followed by club's meeting at 7.30 pm. Quite a tiring day..

FIFTH DAY
Now I know how TGIF feels like, but even on friday, I still needed to work overtime. I was trying to leave office at 6.15pm, decided to continue my work on Monday but then he stopped me saying that I should finish that now because he wanted to send the drawings to the contractor soon. What?? So, I drew quickly and managed to leave office at 6.45pm after hearing his comments here and there, and honestly I was still quite blur. I did get something of course, though. Oh yes, I got some homeworks to do also, I need to calculate this and that, study this and that. What is this?? I thought everyone saying when you go to work, you have nothing to worry about when you get home, no lectures, no tutorials, no quizzes to be prepared, but I feel like having quizzes everyday!!!!

Okay. that was my first week of working.

SO FAR, I can conclude that
1. I don't want to work in that kind of environment. The routine is killing me, especially when I imagine my future self working as they do.
2. I don't have enough passion in Civil Engineering. I'm not saying I'd enjoy doing Architecture more. No, I'm not brave enough to say that as well. I just don't think I'm fit in that working field, at least for now. I still can't imagine my self dealing with those problems everyday in my future life.
3. I love school. I miss my friends. I just love spending time with my friends.
4. I might consider of changing my career path.

So, that is my first week conclusion of IA. It might have changes in some next weeks. We never know..

No comments: