Wednesday, September 17, 2008

my mentor.

finally, today i've met my mentor. in my school (CEE), the mentees should meet their mentors one-to-one at least once in every semester. if not, i can't see my grades later.. so there i was.. emailed my mentor, arranged the date, then finally met him.. at first, i didn't know whether it was a he or she because i couldn't tell from the name. i was kind of confused whether i should write "Dear Sir", "Dear Madam", or both.. "Dear Sir/Madam".. haha. but that's not the point of my post today.

okay. yeah. after having lunch together with my friend who also wanted to see her mentor (not same as mine), both of us went to CEE building. after we seperated, i looked for my mentor's office. it wasn't difficult to find. i knocked the door. then, i heard someone said "yeah, come in".. i opened the door. and taa daa.. it's a he.. haha. fortunately, i wrote "Dear Sir" in my email...;p

i introduced my self. he gave me a piece of paper to sign the attendence, and of course..! the 2 GB USB.. haha!

he knew i'm from indonesia, maybe from my name. he asked about hall, roomate, food, homesick, etc.. he's very friendly. and looked wise.

the chit chat went like usual until he asked about how i did in the subjects? was i able to cope with them all? i said, yeah, not too bad, i'd learnt some of them in my high school, but maybe for economics, i had a little problem (actually, BIG! haha. but i think i said 'little') as i didn't have any background in econs..

then, he said. "nah. that's the problem." no no, he didn't mention anything about econs. what he meant was the math, physics, chemistry, which i've learnt in high school. that's your problem. students who come here usually have had background from their A level studies or high school. that's why they don't spend much time to study. and finally, when they're in 2nd year, as they'll learn something really new, they are in trouble, because they still spend the same amount time to study like in their 1st year. yeah, i should warn you from now. the study habit in university is also different as what you did in high school. you should spare some time of your weekend to study also..

yeah. i think that is likely as what he said. and i think it's true.. i know, i should give extra time, but... still.. haha. well, at least i'm doing my best^^. i'll keep that in mind, Sir.

almost of the time he was the one who talked, with some advices, of course.. he also mentioned that students who have their heart already for CEE, usually will do good. it's different from others who come to CEE just because they don't get to other couses they wanted. he asked me which one was i? said i was the one who came for CEE. (even though i put acc as my 1st choice. haha. but, really, i wasn't going for acc. thx God i'm in CEE! but, i skipped this part to him). then, he said, "that's good." and somehow, i added that i wanted to take architecture at first. but he can understand my situation, as there is no architecture in ntu. surprisingly, he also said that being an architect was his dream 24 years ago.. haha.

and yeah. that's it..^^ some small talk with my mentor..

i have no classes for the rest of the day. hmm what am i going to do?

1 comment:

fabsca said...

wah, asik ta, kayanya serius tapi santai, tapi ini masa depan, ga tau ya, baca tulisan lu yang ini serasa baca novel. hahaha

iya ta, aku jadi kepikir mau belajar rajin sejak sekarang nih, hahaha,, abis baca postingan kamu ^^